Heading art by Robert Fleming

Heading art by Robert Fleming /// Send up to three ghazals on any subject, totaling up to 150 lines in length, in the body of an email message or attached in a Word file to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com by 11:59 PM PST on August 18th. No PDF's please. Color artwork is also desired. Please send in JPG form. No late submissions accepted. Poets and artists published in Four Feathers Press Online Edition: Ghazal Train will be published online and invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, August 19th between 3 and 5 pm PST.

Monday, August 14, 2023

Jackie Chou

Grieving the Loss of My Former Self

 

I see beyond the lipstick's red

Whenever I paint my lips red

 

I see a gaping hole in my open mouth

Bad teeth and gums bleeding red

 

I see a target inviting arrows

Circles around a dot of white and red

 

My friends are all avoiding me

My bank account is forever in the red

 

My suitors have married other women

The autumn persimmons are turning red

 

And I, Jackie, am no longer an A student

But the X on my forehead marked in red



 

Raspberry Parade: A Ghazal for Prince

 

On my way home from the cabaret,

I realize I've lost my beret.

 

The street is an endless parade,

raspberries on my float, not a beret. 

 

Vagabonds crowd the sidewalks,

wrapped in colorful rags, but no beret.

 

I wear a red dress my mother bought,

with a crystal tiara, not a beret.

 

She passed away in 1994, 

and the song isn't about me but a beret.

 

-Previously published in Fevers of the Mind Poetry Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

R A Ruadh

Parting is … We trusted land and sky at the start To care for us and to each our part But humankind did mess with that And bit by bit ...